I was first introduced to begedils in my undergraduate years by my Indonesian friends. Later did I realise that begedils are very much part of the Malaysian cuisine. Common found in shops selling Nasi Lemak or Nasi Dagang
Begedil is is basically potatoes mashed then deep fried into patties. Usually made with just potatoes, but mixes with meat are not uncommon.
- 2-3 large potatoes cut into wedge size chunks
- 150 g minced beef
- 2 egg whites
- Salt and pepper to season
- Deep fry the potato wedges until they are slightly golden brown and allow to cool. This is to bring out the fragrance of the potatoes
- Using a mortar, pound the potatoes until you get a mashed type texture. It is okay if there are bits of chunks still left, it only adds to the texture of the patty.
- Stir fry the minced beef until they’re cooked. Season with salt and pepper
- Mix both the minced beef and mashed potato together
- Shape the mix into a tiny fist size ball and coat them with egg whites then drop them into medium heat oil and deep fry them till golden brown
- Once golden brown, remove the patty / begedil and place them on paper towels to remove access oil.
- Serve with fresh veg or curry and rice
Incoming search terms:
- begedil recipe
- resepi begedil ayam
- resepi begedil kentang
- resepi kentang ball
- mashed potato recipe malaysia
- resepi pegedil
- begedil kentang ayam
- resipi pegedil
Filed under: Dinner, Main course · Tags: asian dishes, begedil, cintadapur, cintadapur.com, cuisine, culinary, dishes asian, food malay, food photography, heavmus, how to make pegedil, how to make potato patty, main, main course, malay, malay cuisine, malay dishes, malay food, malaysia, malaysian, malaysian cooking, malaysian dishes recipes, malaysian food recipes, pegedil, pegedil recipe, potato, potato patty, potato patty recipe, potatoes